In recent weeks and months it has become abundantly clear COVID-19 has affected our nation in an unprecedented way, creating stress and feelings of uncertainty. Once more, our Southern Nevada community comes together #VegasStrong to Stay Home for Nevada. We want to ensure you that as an essential business, Intermountain Healthcare, formerly HealthCare Partners Nevada, is here for you.
Another service we want to provide are resources and ideas of ways you can adhere to social distancing while still practicing self-care. Social distancing does not mean social isolation. Below are ideas, tips and resources available to you that you may not be aware of – try them out and feel free to share your tips as well!
Tips for Exploring Outdoors
Nevada’s great outdoors offer plenty of options including miles of trails although it is important to practice healthy habits, including:
- Maintain 6’ distance with others and avoid groups larger than 10
- Avoid high-touch areas such as playground equipment
- Bring hand sanitizer and/or disinfecting wipes and use after touching common surfaces such as railings, water fountains and restrooms
As of March 23, 2020 playgrounds, public restrooms, team courts, and other outdoor group sports facilities are closed to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Please make certain to confirm whether trails or parks are open in advance. Many National Parks have begun limiting their facilities or closing altogether to limit the amount of visitors congregating together on the trails.
For up-to-date information on Clark County’s public parks, please click here.
In-Home Fitness Options
The YMCA of Southern Nevada’s commitment to healthy communities remains during a global health crisis.
- Emergency childcare is now available at the Heinrich and Centennial Hills YMCA locations for first responders, military, hospital personnel, and other mission critical staff that must report to work.
- Free access to YMCA 360 on Demand videos offering favorite classes from the comfort and safety of your home.
Many other fitness apps are providing free access to provide safe options for exercise without leaving home, including:
- Alo Moves offers more than 15 free community classes from their YouTube page with content ranging from vinyasa to restful sleep flow.
- Even if you don’t have a Peloton bike, the company is offering a 90-day free trial to the Peloton app, which includes workouts ranging from boot camp to running.
- The variety of workouts available in the Daily Burn app – from yoga to kickboxing – can help you explore something new from home with a 30-day free trial.
- Dance live with some of the dance pros from Dancing with the Stars weeknights at 5pm on Dance with Me LIVE. You can also view archived lessons from prior days anytime for free.
Apps for your Mental Health
Board and digital games can bring entertainment while also improving brain function.
- Lumosity: 60+ cognitive games
- Fit Brains Trainer: Memory games and logic puzzles by Rosetta Stone
- Memorado: exercises focused on skills you want to challenge and develop
Senior-only Shopping Times
- A growing number of grocery and retail stores are now offering dedicated shopping time for seniors and other high-risk groups.
- Albertsons; Tuesdays and Thursdays 7-9am
- Costco; Tuesdays and Thursdays 8-9am
- Dollar General; Daily 7-8am
- Sam’s Club; Tuesdays and Thursdays 7-9am
- Smart & Final; Daily 7:30-8 am
- Smith’s; Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays 7-8am
- Target; Wednesdays during the first hour of shopping (check your local store for hours)
- Vons; Tuesdays and Thursday 7-9am
- Walgreens; Tuesdays 8-9am
- Walmart; Tuesdays 1-hour before opening (check your local store for hours)
- Whole Foods; Daily 1-hour before opening (check your local store for hours)
Help from Community Partners
- Nextdoor, available online and via an app, helps bring neighbors together. They recently launched new features making it easy to offer and ask for help by marking your status on an interactive map.
- Helping Hands of Vegas Valley offers a food pantry program for seniors (photo ID required). Food is available for pickup Monday-Wednesday 8am-12pm and deliveries are available to housebound seniors as well.
- Three Square offers several programs including those specific to caring for seniors. From the Golden Groceries food pantry to community hot meals programs, a nutritious meal is available for adults 60 and better.
- Intermountain Healthcare is proud to co-sponsor the program Delivering with Dignity helping to feed vulnerable families during the COVID-19 crisis. To ask about service requests or volunteer opportunities, please visit United Way of Southern Nevada.
- Vegas PBS is providing educational tools and resources for at-home instruction such as ClassroomCast and PBS LearningMedia REACH.
The Southern Nevada Health District has several resources available to assist you with questions you may have related to coronavirus, including:
- What do if you or a loved one is sick
- List of essential and non-essential businesses
- Link to the CDC’s Coronavirus self-checker Although the system is not intended to provide diagnosis or treatment, it may be helpful in making decisions about when to seek appropriate medical care.
- Information hotline is available 7 days a week 7am-7pm: (702) 759-INFO (4636)
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) offers helpful tips during a time when scammers are taking advantage of fears related to the coronavirus.
- Hang up on robocalls and do not press any numbers.
- Do not respond to online offers for vaccinations or home testing kits. Consumer Reports offers additional tips for avoiding phishing scams.
- If you receive a text or email message regarding checks from the government, claims of being an expert from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), do not respond. The FTC offers additional advice here.
- To that point, do not click on links from sources you do not know.
- Research before donating as many scammers are looking for opportunities especially by requesting cash, gift cards and wire transfers. Those should be red flag warnings for you.
We at Intermountain Healthcare are here to take care of you and support your healthcare needs at this time. If you have any concerns, you should contact your provider.